Medical cannabis acceptance expected to improve with legalization of recreational adult-use
In just a few hours, Canada will be the first G7 nation and the second country in the world to legalize recreational adult-use of cannabis. Our focus at Tilray will continue to be developing and manufacturing medical cannabis products in our GMP-certified facility and supplying medical cannabis to tens of thousands of patients in Canada and across the globe.
We’re committed to advancing the scientific knowledge of medical cannabis and the clinical applications of cannabinoids and their potential benefits through our ongoing support for research projects and clinical trials, such as studying the effects of high-CBD formulations on children with pediatric epilepsy (Dravet Syndrome) through Toronto’s Hospital for Sick Children.
Some of our other research initiatives include:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) study with University of British Columbia;
- Glioblastoma study with Grupo Espanol de Investigacion en Neurocologia (GEINO);
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) study in partnership with McGill University;
- Chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (CNIV) study in Australia in cooperation with the University of Sydney and government of New South Wales;
- Essential tremor study with University of California San Diego – the first legal export of a cannabis product from a Canadian company to the U.S., where cannabis is still illegal at the federal level.
As a registered Tilray patient, you’ll still have access to the benefits of the medical cannabis system, which allows you to deduct your health expenses – including your cannabis prescription – from income tax.
Other medical system benefits include:
- 24/7 Patient Services team support;
- Online medical cannabis resources and education at www.tilray.ca/learn;
- Fewer taxes – Medical cannabis is not subject to provincial taxes like the recreational adult-use market will potentially be. Tilray will absorb the federal excise tax, in the short term, while we continue efforts to implore the federal government to remove the excise tax – and all taxes - on medical cannabis. Add your voice to the campaign by writing a letter through Canadians for Fair Access to Medical Marijuana (CFAMM) campaign.
- Affordability programs - Low-income patients, seniors, veterans, new and renewing patients benefit from discounts to help reduce cost;
- Health coverage – Veterans continue to benefit from cost coverage by Veterans Affairs Canada, while some private insurers are adding cannabis to extended health plans;
- Free, expedited shipping right to your door or a Flex Delivery address of your choice.
Recreational adult-use cannabis will be supplied by High Park Company, a wholly-owned subsidiary of our parent organization, Tilray Inc., which is separate and distinct from our medical cannabis operations.
Tilray was one of the first licensed producers of medical cannabis in Canada, sending our first shipment in 2014. We’d like to thank you, our cherished patients, for including Tilray as part of your journey to health and we’re excited to celebrate the increasing acceptance of cannabis for our medical patients!
If you have questions about medical cannabis, please reach out to our friendly and knowledgeable 24/7 Patient Services team at 1-844-TILRAY1 or email@example.com.